Saturday, January 16, 2010

After the Storm


I love the drama of stormy weather. My cosy studio or my cosy coat and boots keep me safe from any real danger and discomfort. I suppose that is the difference between something thrilling and something truly frightening. I feel the same way about my emotional life. Usually I stay safe and cosy but sometimes I venture out into the big, beautiful, thrilling world to find adventures that make my heart beat faster.




This painting shows the snowberries that decorate Seattle in the darkness of winter and the beauty berries (calliparpa) that I love so much this time of year. It is oil on panel and measures 11'x14".

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Jean. I LOVE this. The snowberries and callicarpa against that brooding sky...I too love dramatic weather, which is good because we get our fair share of it up here on the hill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! The berries looming in large perspective make it look very dramatic. And I like what you wrote also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained," that old saw is tough to live by sometimes but I think it has to be true. Not everyone has your ability to make something beautiful out of the stormy times, indoors and out. Will you really keep this one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. jean, i just discovered your blog (from paradise express) and i love your work. i really like the photos of huckleberry too. i'll have to stop by once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jean, it seems your sense of color gets more subtle and more powerful with each new painting. The berries and the sky: stunning. I'd love to stop by for tea sometime. How does the near future look. I love black cats,too. D.

    ReplyDelete