Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Luna


This is a portrait of my friend's dog Luna. I feel very clever to have paired her with Lunaria seed pods, which grow as weeds in my garden. There is also a day time moon.


I copied the sky from this 1670 painting by Jacob van Ruisdael.


My daughter pointed out to me recently that many of my favorite painters are dutch. I love the Seventeenth Century landscapes with their flat friendly land and huge skies. There is Van Gogh of course. And Willem de Kooning. Fabulous. And recently I have been enjoying some local shows by Dutch painter Chris Berens, who paints two of my favorite things - clouds and white animals. He has a show here in Seattle at Roq la Rue of his more colorful recent work. You can see it here.

"Luna" is oil on canvas and measures about two feet across.

2 comments:

  1. I've been a lurker for a long while, so I guess I'd better just fess up and let you know how much I look forward to your updates. I love your painting style, and just how prolific you are.

    Thank you very much for sharing your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all the shades of white you used, Jean!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete