Monday, May 30, 2011

A Very Special Dog

I recently spent some time in the Methow Valley of Washington, with the help of the Methow Arts Alliance. What wonderful scenery and so many fruit orchards in that area around Wenatchee. I'll go back in peach season.


I went to Twisp to deliver this painting to my new friend Megan who is a councilor at the elementary school. This is her dog, Snags, who helped her to work with the children.  I think that Snags' snaggle tooth sideways smile helped the kids to feel that being different is still being lovable. Very sadly Snags died recently and Megan asked me to paint her wonderful friend to help her and the kids remember Snags in a happy way.

We also did some art workshops with the kids and got fabulously messy with chalk pastels. It was such an intimate experience helping the kids to draw their own animal friends. Megan and the kids have a new dog - Stellar - and some of the kids made pictures of her during our workshops. I don't know if it helped them with their grief but I do know that we had a lot of fun. I hope to visit again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment