Monday, August 10, 2009

Blackberries





Many people around here curse the invasive Himalayan Blackberry bushes that take over gardens like thorny bullies. The upside though is having lots of delicious food growing for free in my back alley. Thanks to my mum who was visiting recently for encouraging the kids to pick and to Jenny who made warm berry compote for our morning pancakes. I am even planning to use some of the berries to dye wool for winter knitting projects.

Summer is pretty nice, isn't it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I am jealous! We had a back alley patch in Ballard but here across town, everyone is too damn tidy. I have one errant vine but only a few berries per week from it. I need to go find a mother lode, your post is making me drool. Love your juice-stained hands and the kids' exultant picking poses! Hope to see you at Molly's if you can make it that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen come and pick. They are falling on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi pill bug,i wish i could come over and pick some of these too. at least i get to enjoy them virtually :-)
    do drop by and see what i have growing in my garden!

    ReplyDelete