Friday, February 5, 2010

Mouse or Cat


This painting, barely started, is only 12 inches wide. A much smaller scale than my last four foot winter scene. My garden is full of dead plants that have such wonderful shapes and textures like this hydrangea and I want to capture some of them even though I am being tempted by new spring flowers already. The helebores, snowdrops and daphnes are blooming but I will try not to be distracted until this new one is finished.


I put a little mouse watching the sunset but I think I might change her to a cat, using Opal as my model. I find it very hard to imagine the anatomy of an animal and get more satisfying results working from observation.




Spring is strangely early this year. It's nice but odd.

2 comments:

  1. Opal is the loveliest model imaginable. Wonder if the animals can tell the difference between an ordinary sunset and a spectacular one? Cute snowdrop! Yes, nice but very strange indeed to be having a 60 degree day on Feb. 6...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from France! I've been enjoying visiting your blog for a while now, so I thought it would be high time to drop a line. I love your paintings, very personal and refreshing style. Congratulations for your work and the pleasure you find there. Bye for now!

    ReplyDelete