Monday, June 22, 2009

Polar Ice Cap



When I am not worrying about my children, pets, and the various birds, mice and insects that live in my garden, I worry about the rest of the world. It seems that I feel guilty about everything I do. Every breath I take, every meal I eat, every thing I buy seems to be killing the planet. I feel responsible every time I see those pictures of polar bears swimming around looking for ice that isn't there. Am I the only one who feels the guilt of all this constantly pressing down on my head? I try to think of the absurd side of this and to paint my mental state as ridiculous. At least this painting makes me smile.



4 comments:

  1. You are not the only one, I am right with you there! It does become so pressing, this planet-killing anxiety. I'm glad you were able to make a lovely, humorous painting out of the worry. Honestly, it can make your head explode (or implode, with all those cute little furry white ice-seeking critters up there)! I wish we could spread it around a bit more, like we could feel a little less anxious and not worry about every tiny thing, if the Hummer driving consumers of massive resources could step up more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And too often it seems that no matter which decision/choice I make I will still cause damage. The implications of the smallest decision made by one person seem to reverberate exponentially throughout the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look as if they were waiting for you to carry them away.

    I think that we can only do what we can to live lightly and thoughtfully. It's too easy to become paralyzed by worry for things that you can't directly effect. I know because I'm a worrier too and would love to gather all of the children and animals into safety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean, your painting really catches the feeling so expressively.

    ReplyDelete